Quarterly Wildlife Artist Feature-Jonathan Pointer


We are back with yet another exciting Wildlife Artist feature this quarter. Have been interacting and following Jonathan's work for almost a year, every time i look at his works my jaw just drops.  When i requested Jon for an interview he was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to answer to few of my questions.

I am over moon and really excited to share my conversation with Jon, with you all!

Without any further delay, lets speak to Jonathan Pointer, shall we?




Name of the Artist: Jonathan Pointer
Location:  United Kingdom
Date: October 2018
Form of Art: Painting

Artist Introduction

Jonathan Pointer was born in 1974 and as a child lived in the Middle East, where exotic birds and the back-drop of desert, provided an early stimulus in what has since proved to be a lifelong passion for nature and the great outdoors.

Inspired by Victorian art, Jonathan’s work has a traditional feel, combining realism and a strong sense of narrative. His approach to painting is highly individual with all the elements within the painting - subject, flora and landscape - being treated with equal importance. His work is therefore, part portrait, part botanical and part landscape, an approach that places the subject within the context of habitat, time and place and gives added opportunity for narrative within the painting. This dedication to all aspects of nature means that his larger paintings can take months to complete, with an output of no more than 10 paintings a year adding to the collectability of his work.

As an artist he has exhibited widely, both nationally and internationally, and is represented by several leading galleries. Past exhibitions include - The Society of Wildlife Artists - Christies Wildlife and Sporting Art auctions - Olympia Fine Art and Antique Fairs - The Royal West of England Academy - and Birds in Art in America.

Jonathan lives with his artist wife in West Wales, “somewhere by the river” surrounded by high wooded hills, ruined castles and wild moorland. He rears Chickens, Pheasant and Partridges purely for the pleasure and tries to live a simple life, working with the seasons.


Indian Monitor Lizard-Oil on Canvas


Dear Jon, could you please share with us when and how your journey toward art started? 
What inspired you to take up art?

Art has always been an important part of my life. From a child I have always been creative, always found escape in drawing and making various objects, such as toys and models . As a child my earliest drawings involved drawing dinosaurs, animals, soldiers-the typical young boy’s interests. As I got older those drawings also matured. Curiously it was only when I was in my late teens that I began to portray the natural world-animals, birds and flowers in my art.

I think having lived in the very rural countryside as I grew up and (importantly) before the distraction of the computer and internet age had begun, most of my time was spent playing outdoors and then fishing at every spare moment. This appreciation for nature seemed fulfilled by those activities and animal or wildlife art only began when I reached a mature enough level to want to create meaningful art involving the natural world.




Honey Badger-Oil on Canvas


May i know what mediums do you like to work with the most and why?

I work in Oil paint for all of my painting. No other paint medium is as rich and flexible as oil. I find the few times I still use Acrylic to be very frustrating, it’s a plastic medium, it dries too quickly, allows inferior blending and is so thin (and as a result not as rich as an oil paint).
Oil paint allows me to subtly blend colours, I work “wet on wet” and rarely paint with glazes, instead preferring to paint as thickly as control and detail will allow with the correct colours for the wanted outcome.

Another important factor in using Oil paint is its familiarity with the clients who buy my work, “Oil on canvas” sounds so much more familiar to a layman, whereas those artists who paint in Acrylic on MDF board will probably have many collectors wondering what is this un-familiar paint and paint surface? That’s no small doubt to put into a potential collectors mind if they are unsure or not to invest in you!



Bengal Tigress-Oil on Canvas


May i know how did you learn this art form? Did you have a Mentor?

I was fortunate to go to Art college from the age of 16. That said, I largely feel I am self taught as far as pure technique goes. Art college, where it is useful, can be from being around other, learning young artists, you share ideas, learn from one another, discuss. I do not believe you need to go through Art college to be a full time artist. If you have the talent you will sell and support yourself. I know many self-taught full time artists who did not go through Art college. A similar experience can be had by being active online with other artists and having the ability to take on board advice from more experienced artists or artists who approach their own art in a very different manner. 

Visiting art collections/museums is also important; learning from past masters is the greatest benefit to a living artist. I have a huge collection of art books, my style is my own but I take inspiration from so many different forms of art-here is a good art education without needing to go to art college!



Sambar Deer-Oil on Canvas


Now for the most interesting part of our conversation, could you share about your journey to Asia?

The artwork I have sent for this article stems from several wonderful, exciting trips I made to the Indian subcontinent in the 2000s. As a young, aspiring artist I dreamed of travelling to new places, seeing new animals and painting those experiences. Wildlife art at this time was dominated by African themed wildlife art. The work was exciting but often flawed through repetitions of themes (such as a Bull elephant in a cloud of dust) and also the over painting of the big game to the exclusion of African smaller game and often the wonderful birds too. 

At this time the BBC ran a series “The Land of the Tiger” and I was enthralled. A rich continent, diverse in habitat and wildlife, quite different from my usual European-themed subject matter and apart from the Tiger, rarely painted, I knew I had to go.



Common Palm Civet-Oil on Canvas



Really interested to know more about your travel and how it influenced your artworks?

My trips to Northern and central India and a trip to Sri Lanka are some of my fondest memories; I met so many kind people, experienced new cultures and discovered so many new animals. When I returned I painted with an inspired fervour, birds, reptiles, mammals-all featured in my “Asian portfolio”. The work I produced felt new to me (if only in terms of the new subjects I was painting for the first time) and also wonderfully rich and exotic compared to the often much drabber, familiar European subjects I usually painted. The work however sold poorly. 

Apart from Tigers, my usual buyers knew little of Asian wildlife and here I learnt an important lesson. As much as the artist wishes to say something, challenge the norms, at the end of the day it is the buyer who will hang that same artwork on their wall and without the buyer, the professional artist is finished!

My Asian portfolio still continues but is very much placed on a back burner, waiting for times where, financially, when I am in better health, I can continue with those exotic birds and mammals and paint only for painting’s sake. Perhaps if I was selling in Asia itself and to those clients who love (as I do) those subjects then it would be viable but alas..

The trips I made to India and Sri Lanka are amongst my fondest wildlife memories. I fully intend to return one day and pick up where I left off.


Bonnet Macaques & Prayer flags-Oil on Canvas

Well  Jon, i wish you do visit Asia sometime again soon! Glad to know that your trip to Asia was a memorable one.  

And i do hope buyers from Asia would check out your masterclass artworks and you receive loads of commissioned works from here and world over! 

Wishing you great health and more paintings for rest of this year! 

Really thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and these exclusive materclass artworks on Asian subjects with us! 

You may follow Jonathan's works from the below links:

Instagram: pointerjonathan

We'll be back again with another interview next quarter! Until then, watchout for artworks and discussions on our Facebook group! Artists for Wildlife and Nature

Comments

Popular Posts